Friday, February 17, 2012

rebellion, stubbourness

I prefer to think that Rachel has simply been trying to assert herself recently.
She is a very loving, gentle and caring 6th year old girl and a wonderful big sister to Natalie.

But recently she has been kind of cranky: "I do not want take a bath tonight (her hair needs to be washed, her tush is red and her hands are nails need to see the water..), I do not want to brush my hair, I don't want to wear that dress (eventough that's what she had agreed on the night before), I do not like this or I hate that" (we do not accept that word in the house). Some stuff I can let go, such as picking up other clothes or not wanting to brush her hair (I would rather like her to look great when she goes to school but ...). If I force her, she starts crying and that can last for 30 minutes. Yossi tends to think that I should not sweat the little things and I do agree, the battle sometimes is not worth it. But when it comes to being clean, it is a no no in my book.

Another example: On valentine's night, she had a big party at school and I guess too much sugar, she was tired and cranky. She had just told me that she did not care for a girl in her class and ripped off her valentine card (will have to ask her more about Katie). When Yossi bought flowers and ballons for everyone, she decided that she did not like hers and put it in the trash. We were not pleased and I talked to her and asked her to apologize, which took awhile and a lot of crying for her to do.

I do not want of course to bend her strong will but it worries us a little bit I have to say.

3 comments:

Elaine said...

6 is supposed to be the year that kids assert themselves. Maybe that's what's going on? Good luck getting through. Connor had a period of about two weeks that was definitely hard to get through. Since then, he's chilled out a bit. Not fun!!

Laurie said...

Z has been a crank too. I try to comfort myself by analyzing whether she could be tired or hungry. But I don't think it's those typical triggers. I think she's just growing in her own independence and more aware than ever of others and herself in relation. A sign of tweens to come...

Marya said...

David has always been an emotional kid so the first 1/2 of 6 was TOUGH! He was trying to assert his independence and see how far he could push it. I think the most important thing is to stay consistent and pick a small number of rules that are always enforced such as, "We use kind words." David has mellowed a lot in the past couple months so I think it is part of the roller coaster.