Monday, November 10, 2008

crying before going to bed

Yes it does happen in our household too.
Last night Rachel cried when it was time to go to bed. I did not want her to wake up her sister who was already asleep. Daddy is always very good to deal with such crises but for some strange reasons I wanted to deal with it.
Daddy gave her some juice with water, it appeased her for 30 seconds. She then started again and this time she wanted some cookies. The sugar cookies were gone and the only ones left were either Natalie's teething cookies or the ones with a thick layer of chocolate on top. I told her she could not have cookies at night, then she cried even harder.
I took her in the living room, away from Natalie bedroom's door.
"on va laver les dents et mettre du beurre de cacao/let's wash your teeh and put some cocoa butter"
- things that she likes but it did not work -daddy mentioned the cookies- no!.
"Rachel, si tu continues a pleurer, je vais prendre ton gobelet de Dora (if you continue crying I will take you Dora cup)" and it DID IT.
One minute later, tears were something of the past.
I explained that chocolate/cookies at night would make little holes in her teeth and they will fall out (sorry could not find a better explanation), that the dentist would have to work on her teeth and that it would hurt.
"OK maman".
end of the crisis
Natalie for once did not even blink during all that noise.
Rachel brushed her teeth, put some cocoa butter then went to bed. Two minutes later she was asleep.
What a difference 10 minutes can make!

3 comments:

Thrift Store Mama said...

Wow - we looooove Dora here too!

Laurie said...

Now I want cookies before bed too.

Fiona said...

Good thinking! The truth works!