I always have loved Disney fairy tales and so does Rachel. But now as a mom I found them sometimes scary for little girls (dead princesses, scary witches, hunter sent to kill snow white in the woods, ...).
These last 2 evenings have been wonderful. A colleague gave me books in French and we have spent a lot of time reading them sitting the 3 of us on the sofa in the living room before their bed time.
When I took them to their bedroom (8pm) Natalie sat on Rachel's bed insisting that I read her another book (more at her level) and Rachel took advantage of these extra minutes to play with her Dora car and her little dog behind the wheels.
- Maman, my dog drives on his own because he does not have his parents, they are dead
- Dead??? dead of what
- Dead of hunger
- ...
I will have to talk to her to find out what she understands about death.
- Maman, mon petit chien (en plastique de 5 cms qu'elle a ramene de la creche) conduit la voiture tout seul car il n'a plus ses parents.
- Pourquoi il n'a plus ses parents
- parce qu'ils sont morts?
- Morts? ... Morts de quoi (oui je sais j'aurais pu dire "comment" mais c'est l'expression qui m'est venue tout de suite)
- hum... morts de faim
Mon dieu, tous ces comptes de fee de blanche neige, de cendrillon ... parfois je me demande si ils ont bien ecrits pour des enfants.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Death is starting to be a topic in our house too. David has started to ask questions and I work hard to just answer the question he asked. It causes me some anxiety that we are going to responsible to help him understand and work through things like death, etc. For now I'll try to remember he is only 3.
Elizabeth is talking more and more about it. This morning she posed and told me she was dead. I do not know how to tell her to stop doing that. I almost think it would be easier if she asked questions - instead shemakes statements and I feel like somehow I have to tell her we don't say kill or pretend we're dead.
Yeah, Esther lays down and says she is dead too. It totally freaks David out. Perhaps somebody could read a book about it and report back to the rest of us.
I think those fairy tales are scary too!
Zoe went through a big "death-phase" a few months ago. The pinacle was when she said "mommy, grown ups don't die do they?" Ouch! It's pretty much passed now.
Post a Comment